Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Dimples and Dirt

I told Jon that I liked his name, and that it reminds me of dirt.

I shot him a worried glance when I realized I had probably just insulted him -- "You remind me of dirt!" -- the sort of taunt a playground six year old would use. But he understood what I meant. It’s the kind of name I feel like I can dig my hands into, deep, deep down into the earth; maybe plant some roots there.

He’s very perceptive, Jon is. He asked me outright one day, about me, about why I act the way I do sometimes. It was hard to find the words, hard to be honest; its been so long since there was someone I had to be real with. The part of me that laid dormant beneath layers of logic, adventure, happiness, and adulthood now bubbles awkwardly to the surface. I fumbled, blushed, felt glad we were on the phone and not in person, then secretly wished we were in person, then decided not, again.

I seldom meet men who have balance the way he does. He is both light and dark; intelligent but inquisitive; ambitious, with a touch of humility. It's lucky too, that he's not shy with his feelings. For one virtually incapable of letting down my walls, he's like the vine that slowly cracks mortar, and crumbles stone to dust.

I'm terrified.

So the question now is...if it wasn't Jon, who put up that comment about my dimples?!

3 comments:

Reina said...

i've known of those cute dimples of yours for a long time but it wasn't me! u can cross me off your blacklist :)

Anonymous said...

awfully quick to trade in that fairy dust for some dirt, weren't you?

Bambina said...

whoever wrote this is mean.