Sunday, November 19, 2006

25

I am 25 today. (!!). Time coasts by.

I'm trying to remember what happened between 20 and 25, and its difficult. Childhood too, is a blur of rice paddy, skyscraper and autumn; brick buildings, soccer, cows and beggars; storms, swimming, heat, singing. A little bit of death. I'm a girl of 6 standing in front of a brown Volvo; I have shiny brown hair and a purple backpack, and my cheeks are the same color as my pink Carebear shirt. But this I know only from a picture and I have no idea what those big brown eyes are trying to tell me. I was once this creature -- half my current size and cute.

Today, I have this halting thought: I'm a quarter of the way through, which means there's three more to go... how exactly am I doing? This is more than just important -- its my one chance -- the only life that matters. Have I spent my time here wisely?

I treat this topic as if I am a visitor in this life, yet I cannot fathom any life but this one. I become a third person observer stealing glimpses of myself, then remember that there is no third person -- there is only me and I am the protagonist in all these visions, yet have no other vantage point from which to observe.

My third person self says, "Be Excellent," and then, "Be Excellent to Yourself." And I try. I think I have done well so far, with this whole living thing.

I imagine this conversation will be very different at 40.

1 comment:

JB said...

I just had this talk with Reina. The first quarter of your life you are constantly taking things in. You learn from your family, from school, from your mistakes. These next 25 are when its your turn to give back. How and what you give back is the toughest question, and seems to be what we all wrestle with nowadays...

Another thought - you mentioned that we have only one life to live and you have to make it count. But in a way we actually have many. Just as we see the fruits of our parents and our grandparents lives reflected in us, our lives will be reflected in the families that we start these next 25 years. Their success and joy will be ours to share, well past our time here on this earth.