Tuesday, August 22, 2006

First Day

I went on my first interview today. Financial independence looms.

I'm flakey. I'm sorry. I know I change my mind all the time. Even now the branches of the opportunity tree that I just pruned are angry at me -- the "Yeah-buts". They're saying, "You're going to miss your family." Yes, its true. "You're going to be distracted from finishing your journey through philosophy." Yes, this is also true. "You're going to be a low-level pee-on." Probably also true. "You may not gain a deeper understanding of life or what you want from it." Possible. "You are leaving Asia, which you know is the area of the world you eventually want to be in." Do I know this? I'm not sure.

For most things I'm going to politely say, 'I don't know.' Which is better than making up the answer. And its better than saying you know when you really don't. But I'm hoping the 'i don't knows' and the 'yeah-buts' will be cleverly extinguished as time goes on.

And I'm also going to politely say, over and over in my head as the Yeah-buts try selfishly to reel me in, "I'm going to commit to this plan." I'm going to stop being a statistic in my generation of wanderers. I'm going to give committment a shot for the following:

Four things:
1) Exercise.
2) Reading philosophy.
3) Writing, professionally.
4) Financial independence.

These are the only four things I know to be 'good' for me. So I'm going to go with what I know.

"What saves a man is to take a step."
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, author of "The Little Prince"

3 comments:

Andrew J said...

Le Petit Prince! I love it! I think the author is actually Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, but that's okay.

Bambina said...

hahahahah ooooh geeez how did i mispell that??! im doomed. :) thanks.

Anonymous said...

I think its a good plan mar. Good luck! By the way, you've inspired me to start jumproping as well. How do you manage to do so many?

-Josh